Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Meat Debate



As a lifelong vegetarian, I find this one a bit awkward to bring up, but: I am trying to get my head around the concept of eating meat.

This is about a deal that my husband and I struck a long time ago, and thus I feel quite bound to keep. The deal is that if he gives up smoking that I will take up eating (some) meat. My husband loves to cook, and while he has embraced vegetarian cooking and does so amazingly, he does sometimes wish that I would share some of his more meaty creations. I don’t know whether I agreed to this as an alcohol infused challenge (very possibly), or whether I was just making a point about just how much I would like him to give up smoking. This has always been more of a “long term” plan, along the lines of babies and house buying. Things way down the track.

First off let me get this straight. It was more of a “ha ha if you ever stop smoking I’ll take up eating meat. “ more of a “That’ll be the day” conversation. But over time that conversation seems to have become a reality. Now he has started talking about actually stopping smoking (in the soon sense), with all intentions of making sure that I adhere to my side of the agreement. What have I done!

I have never been a staunch political vegetarian, in fact having been raised vegetarian, the political side of the lifestyle is not something to which I have given much thought. I don’t think I have any big issues with meat eating aside from the treatment of the animals involved (most commonly inhumane). It is of most importance to me if I did decide to eat meat, that the animals I ate had lived the happy little lives of creatures in a picture book. Sorry, but that’s the way it has to be.

That being said, when confronted with the idea of “just eating some meat, then” – I do feel a bit queasy. Images of animals being slaughtered and detestable living conditions and what not. I do find it a hard image to set aside!

In the back of my mind I keep thinking that he might not really give up smoking (he has yet to even try) but what if he does? Gulp.

So, in lieu of this, I have been doing some research about free range farming, specifically for pigs. Being the most social (and possibly the most intelligent) of commonly farmed animals, it is horrific that pigs are subjected to the kind of solitary, confined, and cruel lifestyle that is practiced nearly everywhere. This morning I walked past an organic butcher in Grey Lynn, that displayed a “Freedom Farms” logo on the sign outside. I looked up Freedom Farms (http://www.freedomfarms.co.nz/) and had a good read.

Overall I have to say, I was pretty impressed to see that the pigs (or ‘piggies’) seem to be treated very well (SPCA endorsed) – and even seem to be able to have the happy little piggy lives that I like them to have in my head (before they hit the meatworks that it) however I still can’t shake the idea of the actual slaughterhouse.

I really really – really do love the idea of my husband giving up smoking for his own health, but giving up my reasonably clean moral conscious isn’t so appealing!

To be continued!


7 comments:

  1. pills, patches, gum & inhalers! Chemical assistance all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I'm pretty sure Ricky will be an absolute gem when he's giving up smoking.

    I think drunk meat eating is the best way to wean myself into it, ha ha ha! Will have to make some mean organic free range bacon toasties at 3am on a Sunday morning to break the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm eating meat. My health is my priority. I do have moral dillemas about it.. but i just can't NOT eat it because (shut up anyone who thinks on their high horse oh you don't know bla bla body can function without it) it's my body i know best. haha. i CAN'T function without it.

    /end

    i'm all for giving up smoking!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am totally behind you.

    i know you can do it without eating meat but that's not the point. doing it without meat is compromising the real thing on some level. i am all about getting on with it. do it for real. i am behind you! probably best to eat lots of lean red meat, huh. what are you eating?

    ReplyDelete
  5. MEAT IS AWESOME!!!! I spent heaps of time on a farm where we would eat the animals once they were older and had had a mean paddock to prance around in etc... but seriously miss Morgie... Ricky needs to give up smoking because he wants to give up smoking not because he gets you to do something drastic also!!!
    If you WANT to try meat, then try it.
    If Ricky WANTS to give up smoking, then he should. Simple!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that eating meat and smoking are 2 very different things. I know this is an old post now but i would be interested in how this all turned out.
    I think that by you wanting ricky to stop smoking is because its bad for him and you generally care about him. And you want him to be with you for a really long time.
    But in exchange for you eating dead animals doesnt make any sense to me at all. How do you benefit from this? There are ways for you to still get all the nutrients you need without eating the flesh of a pig.
    If you wanted to eat them then it wouldnt be an issue but to me it seems like youre going out of your way to do something that really doesnt benefit anyone at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Currently Ricky still smokes, and I am still vegetarian.

    We decided to keep to our original agreement: when we get pregnant he stops smoking and I eat meat.

    I know that it is possible to have a baby perfectly healthily by remaining vegetarian, and full props to people that do. But I will choose to eat meat while i am pregnant, for the sake of my baby. I have always been of that opinion, and while I don't look forward to it, I believe it is what's best.

    Ricky is quite looking forward to this happening and wanted to motivate this shift sooner, and seeing as I do intend to eventually eat meat I don't see it as a massive compromise. We both want what we believe is best for each other in the long run.

    At the end of the day neither of us is in a hurry to give up anything, so we have decided to wait until baby time, as per original agreement.

    ReplyDelete